Thursday, July 9, 2009

round and round she goes...

Good evening, all! Today marks 1 week since little Gracie was pulled from the shelter in Houston. Alot has happened to our little girl since then! She is still sleeping alot but with more periods of awake time and activity. And by activity I mean she is starting to act more like a puppy. She is getting more curious about her surroundings and is trying to get out of her little enclosure. She is "talking" to us alot, now. Especially when she is not getting her way! :o) David and I have decided that 'Sassy' would have been an equally appropriate name for Grace. She doesn't like to be picked up when she is outside exploring. She will squirm and kick with her legs all the while groaning and whining. Oh, and all that stops as soon as you put her back on the ground. She is a mess!
She has a unique way of getting around the yard. She walks in circles that gradually widen. She responds to our cue word 'careful' that we say when she is about to run into something and will turn. She pretty much covers our entire yard, too. At first, we kept her on a leash when outside so we had some control over where she went. But, to be honest, I was getting dizzy! She was circling me and I was trying to keep watch so I was turning, too. At the point that I became nauseous the leash came off. I don't know how she doesn't get dizzy. I do wonder if she has some neurological damage due to loss of oxygen during the strangulation but she is able to walk in a straight line when being led. I am going to video her walking in circles around the yard and put it up for everyone to see. Hoping to get that done tomorrow...if all the planets align / kids cooperate / no other crisis arises...
Grace is not fearful at all which is both good and scary. Good because she is not letting her blindness slow her down but scary because she could easily get hurt. Does that sound too motherly? I can't help it, she is so tiny and frail, I just want to hold her and keep her safe all the time. Everything I've read always states (in clearly bolded letters) 'Do Not Baby Your Blind Dog'. When I told David this, he laughed because I baby our dogs with sight! But, I guess Grace is taking care of this all on her own. She won't let me hold her unless she is ready to be held. She seems to be heading down the road of independence (and typical Weim stubbornness!).
As for her health...
Grace is eating everything offered but we are still pushing water. She just doesn't seem to want to take the time to drink alot of water from the bowl. She drinks a little and then wants to wander off. This is probably due to her short puppy attention span but with her condition, we don't have the luxury of saying 'oh well, she'll drink when she's thirsty'. So, we continue using the syringe a few times a day which she absolutely hates. We have one more day of antibiotics and will see Dr. C on Friday for a re-check. We're hoping to see a decent-sized jump in her weight. David and I both think her body is looking smoother and less like a walking skeleton. She has been messing with her right ear and cocking her head as if it is either itching or hurting. She will try to scratch with her back leg and end up falling over because, again, she has no muscle tone to accomodate this. We've cleaned the ears and put some drops in but will have Dr. C look at it on Friday. Her lip is healing well, too. We've discovered some sores in between her toes, likely due to her toenails being too long and scraping against the sides of her toes. She only had 2 bowel movements yesterday so we'll see what the vet wants to do about that. Otherwise, we are making slow, but steady, progress.
Well, that's it for now. Thank you to everyone who has been praying for God's Grace. She is truly amazing! Take care and I'll post again soon.

4 comments:

fauzia uzair said...

I am so glad to hear she is doing better. I was just wondering if you have tried giving her a bit of honey? Ask your vet, as I always give it to my dogs when they are sick and it helps their body heal amazingly. Honey has many nourishing and healing properties and they seem to like the taste too. I love Grace and am praying very hard for her. I think that she is the sweetest little baby ever! Thank you for taking such good care of her. You are wonderful! :)

Os_Cinzentos said...

dear kelly
I'm so glad to hear of Grace's steady progress. You are doing a fabulous job, congratulations.
I have two weims with totally different water drinking habits. Iago the male dips his face into the bowl for a couple of licks then parades across the kitchen dripping more water 'round than he actually consumed. He'll do this again and again, all day long. Pepper, my girl, is like a camel. She drinks water three times a day, in huge quantities. Go figure. But when she was a pup I was a bit concerned as well, until I understood her routine. At one time I even "spiked" her drinking water with leftover water from boiling a chicken... she is so food-obsessed I thought it would do the trick. So much for not babying your dogs, hum?

Luke's Dad said...

Sounds like she is making great progress - thanks to you and your family for all the and love and attention being provided. Agree with camel weim's - our Luke stocks up on water 2-3x per day. Two poops per day sounds like a more normal/regular bowl too - is exactly what our boy does. We feed 2x per day, so can predict movement within 2 hours of eating. We will keep praying...

Anonymous said...

hey good for her i miss the little girl she's so sweet when she sleeps in your arms,huh kelly?Stubborn,nooo,not my little watermellon(grace)does she like her blanket we picked out for her...?