Tuesday, July 7, 2009

not so worried...


Hi all, I truly had every intention of getting a post up last night with an update on her but the day got away from me. Sorry! We've made it out of the woods...again. I'm starting to feel like this forest we're in has small clearings with sun and blue skies but is still as thick and dark as it can be when you wander back into it. Grace is living up to her name, she is an amazing little girl. To look at her yesterday morning, you would have (as I did) thought she was at death's door but when David brought her home yesterday she just looked better. She still slept alot but some of the time she would pick her head up and listen to what was going on around her (usually chaos in this house). Her eyes opened at some loud noises but she just kind of took it all in stride.
From the vet...Dr. C said her anemia is what is making her so lethargic plus, he said her protein level is really low. He is having us double her dose of the vitamin gel (which she loves) and push water with a syringe if needed. He also sent off a stool sample to check for any remaining hookworms or other parasites. The water issue didn't turn out to be an issue at all. It was like a switch was flipped because she was one thirsty girl when she got home last night! We only had to use the syringe one time and she was not happy. She just pushed with her legs and groaned the whole time. I worked again last night but David said she ate her last meal at 10pm well and slept until about 6am when she started bumping around in her crate. Like I said, she made a 180 in a day. That is a bit scary, knowing that she can take a turn for the worse that quickly. Her system is so sensitive right now. We go back to the vet in a few days for a re-check unless she is just making huge strides in her recovery.
She was more interested in walking around the yard last night. She walks in circles when she's on the ground. We would love for this to be her way of mapping the area, however, we are not ruling out any neurological damage due to the strangulation. She doesn't do this when she's on a leash as much and will walk with you if you lead so I'm hoping that Amazing Grace will amaze us once more and prove she is intact cognitively. I know she is smart. She has already caught on to our word we use to let her know she is about to bump into something. If you say "Careful", she'll slow down and turn. I tried to get some video of her walking but my battery was dead. SO frustrating...we can put a man on the moon but we still have to use batteries. Anyway, I'll try to get that today and up for you all to see. It's interesting, though, she will do her circles and make it all the way over by the fence and when she hits the fence she will start working her way back.
She's doing great on finding her food bowl at meal time and eating. When we first got her, she had a hard time staying on task with eating. Her head would bob all around and she would lose where the food was. That seems to have fixed itself. Yea!
Earlier today, I let myself wonder what she will be like when she is healthy and strong. Then we will be dealing with a whole other set of issues! Addie and Sydney are loving how she will just lay in their laps and sleep. We all know how healthy puppies are...really busy, teeth that feel like tiny needles, nonstop energy until they crash, infamous chewing and general mischief! They might not enjoy that side as much. Once again, the health obstacle is overshadowing her blindness. But I know that issue is down the road (or waiting for us outside of these woods we're in) so we are preparing now. I, however, would gladly endure the razor teeth if it meant that Gracie was a happy, healthy Weim.
I have received lots of good suggestions and advice on working with a blind dog. Please know that if I haven't called or emailed you, I'm not trying to be rude. We just need to get Gracie healthy before we start tackling that issue. I can't say it enough...thank you, thank you, thank you for offering to help and believe me, I will be taking you all up on your offers!
Thanks so much for all the weim wishes and prayers! Keep checking back, I promise to not take so long to update the blog.
~Kelly and Grace

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds great - thanks for the update and thank you so much for the love I can see you are giving her from reading your posts - I'm truly blessed to be in an organization with people like you!!

Unknown said...

Kelly, this is Lenore from David's work. I have volunteered our pool for Gracie when she gets a bit stronger. Thanks for taking such good care of her.

Os_Cinzentos said...

dear kelly
I have just found out about GRace and wish her a speedy recovery in your loving and doting home. In the midst of all her trials, little Grace has found her way into your arms and I thank God for that. You're doing an amazing work. thank you so much

Debra Crandell said...

Hi Kelly - I had my fingers crossed and I was saying please please please let Grace be ok as I opened your post this morning. Hallelujah!!! Now I am crying but it's from happiness. YAY!! I will be looking forward to your updates :)

Fauzia Uzair said...

I am writing from Pakistan and have been following Grace's story. Thank you for helping her and doing all that you can for her. I am praying that she recovers and becomes healthy and strong real soon. I am also sending lots of Reiki her way. I cannot wait for her to get better! All of you are in my thoughts and prayers.

Jennifer said...

I'm glad there are people like you & your family to help those in need. I wish all the best to Grace & other animals in need. I think we're all thankful for the Weimaraner Rescue of North Texas for giving us such great Weims (my parents adopted a Weim that was also mistreated, who is now doing wonderfully & spoiled beyond belief)