Friday, July 31, 2009

jealous sister...

So Miley has been watching the entire saga of nursing Gracie back to health with keen curiosity. But lately I think she's been getting a little jealous. If Gracie is on the couch with David or I, she will sit directly in front of us and more often than not, block our view of the television. I know she's a dog but I think she does this on purpose. Then, if you still don't give her attention, she will start pawing at you. First, your leg and then your arm. All the while moving closer and closer. She has no concept of 'personal space' and is constantly violating this unspoken rule. Eventually, she's got her front feet on the couch and is trying to slowly manuver herself between you and Grace. This, more often than not, means she's in your lap because there is no room between you and Grace. This routine worked for awhile but now she is getting more creative. Because she knows you will tell her 'no' when she tries to sit between you and Grace (unfortunately, this has turned into ON Grace occasionally), she has tried several different techniques. The first involved her attempting to lay on the armrest of the couch...keep in mind she's a 70 pound dog. After failing miserably (and occasionally embarrassingly) at this, she tried to feign indifference in a sad attempt at reverse psychology. For about a week, she spent nearly all of her time on the other couch and managed to take up most of it by stretching out on her back. This, I'm sure, was to show us that SHE had no room for US. Again, no response. This week, she's back to her 'hands on' approach. She is now putting her jealousy right out there and steals things from Gracie every chance she gets! It's not enough that she has 4 rawhides hidden in the couch and laundry basket. Nope, she's got to sit in front of Gracie while she's chewing on hers and wait until Gracie drops it for a second so that she can take it from her. She doesn't even chew on it for long! And, for her grand finale...she tries to pull Gracie's blankie right out from under her while she's sleeping!!! Or, sometimes, she will just do that Weim 'nibbling / pinching' thing they do when they are playing or frustrated to her blankie. I'm sure those of you with one of our little gray friends living with you in your home know what I'm talking about. It's the funniest thing to watch.
All to say, I'm trying to spend some quality time with Miley (in addition to the separate quality time I'm spending with the human kids). When do I get some quality alone time???
As I write this, Miley is sitting next to me looking at the computer screen and yawning. She's not very subtle with her opinions. Plus, the entire time I've been trying to type this, she's pawing my arm, nudging my hand away from the keyboard with her nose and has attempted to get on my lap a couple of times. I'm guessing she wants something...maybe a walk or playtime? On that note, I'll sign off and go spend some quality time with Miley outside while Gracie sleeps.
Have a great night!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'd say you have your hands full but your doing a great job of it. I've always called those little bites nibblenips. Be sure to get some time for yourself, everyone needs some time to recharge the batteries !!
Allene

Os_Cinzentos said...

My boy Iago and girl Pepper are just the same.
I Pepper feels neglected, she will sit in front of the tv so as to block the view and paw a us for attention-first leg and knee,the arm, then both front paws on the sofa, just like you described.
Iago is a bit of a moaner in his fits of jealousy: he'll stand in front of me when I'm sitting on the couch - nose to nose - and start grunting and letting out these low whines, like he's the most miserable creature ever to have walked on 4 legs. I give into the whole act and start rubbing his hears and neck while I tell him in a low, heartbroken voice what a mama's boy he is. He'll huff and puff and grunt to his heart's content then resume whatever he was doing.