Monday, August 17, 2009

this dog is blind...really? (video)

I know she is, but I'm constantly amazed at how well she does! We took Gracie to a nearby area that has a mile track in it and tons of fields. I thought she would be scared since it was new and she didn't know her way around. We were going to have to walk on the gravel track a ways to get to the field and I thought we would have to carry her most of the way. But no, once again she proved I know very little about blind Weim puppies (not that I dispute this fact at all!). I was up ahead of David and Gracie because the big girls (Miley and Maggie) were off leash and LOVING life, romping through tall grass and trees, so I had to keep an eye on them. Anyway, David said Grace was a little unsure of the gravel track but once she realized it was fine she TOOK OFF! That girl is fearless! The track is bordered by cement blocks so they make an excellent tool for her to use and gauge where she is. When she felt one, she turned back. It was great! David and I both want to be able to walk her and have her trust us so this is a great start. I would love for her to run with me and Miley and this track may be the answer.
I've linked the video to some of this trip. I apologize for the shakiness, but it was windy and I was walking to keep up with David and Grace. It's a little long (over 2 minutes) but so worth watching. You get to see her do all the things I've talked about and she did stray off the track at one point. She was either a little confused or just being stubborn (which is entirely possible, this little girl is sassy!) during that part but we got back 'on track'. (Pardon the pun :o)
Like I said, it was windy and you can see her big gray ears flapping in the wind. David said that if everything lined up perfectly, she might go airborne!!! My sweet little gray Dumbo!

2 comments:

Graciefan said...

She is so beautiful and your family is doing a fantastic job with her. I hope she keeps her natural tail. It seems like it helps her compensate with her balance. Maybe she will make a fabulous therapy dog in her adult life.

Unknown said...

She is doing great, I think she may have a little Weim selective hearing going on too !! Please do
dock her tail !!