Monday, August 17, 2009

the eyes have it...

I took this video to give you all a chance to see Gracie's eyes and how they don't look 'typical'. She does just stare at times, but other times she seems to be looking right at you. Her pupils dilate and constrict and you'll see in the video that when she's 'looking' at the camera, her eyes shift a couple of times as if she looks from one thing to another. Don't get me wrong, I don't think she is going to make a miraculous 100% recovery of her sight. I DO think that she sees more than we originally thought. She does SO much better getting around the house when it is daytime or there are plenty of lights on in the kitchen. She doesn't bump into as many things at these times.
We are waiting for a clean bill of health from Dr. Carroll and then we will take her to an opthamologist to see if they can determine her level of blindness. (I mean, hey, if she's only LEGALLY blind and can't drive, that's no big deal at all! :o) I know she can distinguish shadows at the very least.
On the flip side of that... Today I was in the closet of our bedroom and Gracie was on our bed chewing on her bone. Everything was fine, I left her in the middle of the bed completely occupied. Next thing I hear is a loud crash followed by another loud crash. I don't hear any yelping or even whining so I know she is either fine or unconscious. I run into the room to find her happily walking around my room and the nightstand knocked over along with everything on it including a lamp! Apparently, she was walking across the bed and walked right onto the nightstand which then flipped over. Not a scratch on her and she continued to get into everything. She is a mess!!!
Today, I left her out in the house with Miley and Maggie when I went to work. David was going to be home shortly after I left (which is the only reason I left her out of our bathroom). I walked the house and put up all the things I thought would be dangerous for her and closed off rooms. She managed to find one of the girls' purses on the floor and managed to get her body through the strap so that she was wearing the purse! David said she had one front leg and her head through the strap. She was fine and David said she was walking around with it on but WOW, lesson learned. Gracie Gray stays in the bathroom where I can CONTROL her surroundings!!!
This girl is into everything and an accident waiting to happen!
And so we learn another lesson about living with a blind dog (who apparently doesn't realize or care that she is blind)!

No comments: